Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Moment

Oh, of all the things I so enjoy about life one of the most amazing, fascinating and humbling opportunities I am blessed with is to witness human beings having a "moment"--maybe "the moment"--when they realize they can overcome something they never imagined they could, or discover something they have been searching for only to realize it has been in front of them all along.

Or, when I ask an aging Somali woman with chronic "all over body pain" if somedays she feels like she just wants to raise her fists to the sky and yell, and she begins to weep silent, subtle, sweet tears and looks up at me in wonder and says through a Somali interpreter, 'How could you possibly know? How could you possibly know how I am feeling. You must be a magician."

Those moments. Sometimes I am part of the awakening, sometimes I only show people what they allow me to see. It is magic, and I get to watch it unfold every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment