Saturday, February 23, 2013

For Now, Forever


I don't usually write poems in this style, but the morning after my surgery rotation ended, I felt like playing a bit out of bounds. This is a free form process reflecting on all that I gained during the past 4 weeks, and also a few things I lost. It seems that every great endeavor has a few sacrifices. We weigh these carefully, do the best we can, and have faith that things are all working out according to some plan. Or not. Who knows. But I pray a bit each day that the sacrifices I've made will some day be worth it. Thanks for reading. ~ lk



Beginning
            doorways closing, swinging
shut            the morning

after a struggle               when I already
promised
not to struggle anymore.

                            ~ ~ ~

Medicated sleep anxious belly.

                               ~ ~ ~

What love did was find me running
up and down hallways
                  through days
in between photographic moments
of death birth
                                                             my own.

                               ~ ~ ~

What love took was everything I had
to learn                a trade
                      admire             a  heart
          from within        to mercifully
                                                      gracefully                  
                                                                  thrive.

                               ~ ~ ~

Losing my step        on the stairways pushing
wrong         elevator        buttons
knocking          not knocking
on wrong doors            losing
Faith                 every night           that I could
do this
           and do it well.

                               ~ ~ ~

At the end
with the doorway still swinging
wiping blood from both hands
and tears that come so easy
these days
                                         Proof I am
exactly
              where I need to be.

                               ~ ~ ~

The doorway swings         whoosh             for now
                                                                           forever
closed.


2 comments:

  1. I love it, Laura. I saw/felt/heard so many images and concepts as I read it. You could just write it for yourself on a slip of paper that will be tucked away. I am grateful that on top of all of the ways that you are expending energy, you expend a little bit more to share your writing with us. I'm thankful to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa! I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete