Friday, January 18, 2013

Poem: My Practice


I wrote this poem after a workshop we did on heart sounds -- a workshop where various people with real heart murmurs came in so we could listen to their chests.  After a bit of frustration, I was horrified to realize I had my stethoscope in wrong and therefore couldn't hear a thing - asystole! On my way home I got a flat tire and had some time to linger on the experience while I waited for AAA to show up. Hearts. These fist-sized muscles in our chests...that keep beating and beating, sometimes even when we do really horrid things to them (like cheeseburgers, and alcohol, and lazing around on the couch all day). And it made me think of the "safeties" I have right now. For one, a good, strong heart. And the classmates who will tell me my stethoscope is in wrong. Even these phenomenal workshop attendees - patients with various heart murmurs, who want me to hear them, who know this small act may help someone else down the line. And my folks, who teach me all the time about the things I sometimes take for granted. There are many people looking out for me right now. And I hope that translates into me being better at looking out for my patients...
**

That morning
I never heard
the familiar creaks in the floorboards,
the echo of the neighbor
in the hall, rushing away, the quiet
birds building to a colored roar,
only the buzz
of all of my bones,
against the perfect place
of the rain.

That day
I listened
to twenty beating hearts, each
full and impossible, lungs
inflating on last night’s dream, the quick
reflexive swallow
of responsibility. I heard
the distant knock
of depression, letting itself sneakily in,
denial circling in a storm out the
backyard window, the tinkling
of regret threatening
to tear the shingles
from the roof.

That evening
a birth, followed by a
death, both sounding the same,
until all the wailing.

That night
release, listening
to the moon rise
through a cavern of dark,
imagining one thousand whispered
“good nights” along the highways, the
hallways, remembering
the beating hearts
ka kum ka kum, the lungs
filling and filling
on hope, my own quiet rocking
in my parents arms. Like nothing
I have ever heard, like nothing
I ever will.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I am just discovering your blog. Heartfelt and powerful stuff.Thank you so much for sharing your world.--IJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. IJ, thank you. Your words mean so very much. The world is full of heartfelt and powerful stuff, isn't it? I'm just the messenger. :-) Be well.

    ReplyDelete